Article type: Advanced troubleshooting
How do I find inactive or duplicate Devices?
Find the Device MAC Address
On your Child's Device, find and write down the MAC Address
A MAC Address looks like 1a:2b:3c:4d:ab:cd or 1A-2B-3C-4D-AB-CD
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi > (gear icon) > Advanced
- Tap Privacy and select Use device MAC (or Use phone MAC)
- Go down and note the "Device MAC address"
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > (i)
- At Private Address, tap the toggle until it is off (gray)
- Note the "Wi-Fi Address"
- Click on the Start menu
- Search for "wifi"
- Click on Wi-Fi settings
- Confirm Use random hardware address is Off
- Click on Hardware properties
- Note the "Physical address (MAC)"
- At the top-left, go to the Apple (icon) >System Preferences
- Click Network > Wi-Fi (icon) > Advanced (button)
- Go down the Wi-Fi window and note the "Wi-Fi Address"
- Click the Chrome Launcher (start menu)
- In the search, type Network
- Click on the Network (icon)
- Click Wi-Fi
- Click on the connected Wi-Fi network
- Go down and click Network
- Look at the bottom of the Network section and note the MAC address
See the manufacturer's website for gaming devices, streaming media, smart home devices, and printers.
- Some devices may have a small sticker attached to the device with a printed MAC address
- Home smart devices and streaming media may require you to press a combination of buttons to get the MAC address
Match the MAC Address in Connect
In your Connect App, match the MAC to an Unknown Device:
- In Settings, tap Devices
- Under GUEST, tap a device
- Under UNKNOWN, tap Unknown Device
- Find the MAC address at the bottom
Change the Device Owner
Change the Device Owner to one of your Family members
Turn Off the MAC Privacy
- Troubleshooting MAC Randomization on BYOD Devices
- Troubleshooting Box Blocks iOS Devices with Private Addresses
- Troubleshooting Box Blocks Android Devices with Random Addresses
Remove Duplicate Devices
What if I removed an active device instead of a duplicate?
If you accidentally remove your Child's Device from the Family, check the Troubleshooting (above)
- On your Child's device, reconnect it to your Family WiFi
Connect Phones, Tablets, and Laptops to Your Box
- Open Safari, Chrome or a web browser
- Go to the http://www.home.tools diagnostic page
- Tap ASSIGN DEVICE
- Enter your Parent PIN
- Enter a
Select a device type
Select a user
- Tap ASSIGN
Allow up to 2 minutes for the device to sync with your Parent app and the Box.
My issue still isn’t resolved, what do I do next?
We are here to help. Sign in to your Connect App as a Parent. Go to Settings > Support center
If you don't have the Connect App
- Get into a live chat from our website www.familyzone.com
- Request a call back or send us a message
From Australia and New Zealand
From the United States
Have details available to help us troubleshoot your problem:
- Account email
- Child’s name
- Devices impacted
- Time of the issue
- Description of the issue