Article type: Advanced troubleshooting
How do I find inactive or duplicate Devices?
Find the Device MAC Address
On your Child's Device, find and write down the MAC Address
A MAC Address looks like 1a:2b:3c:4d:ab:cd or 1A-2B-3C-4D-AB-CD
- Go to Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi > (gear icon) > Advanced
- Tap Privacy and select Use device MAC (or Use phone MAC)
- Go down and note the "Device MAC address"
- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > (i)
- At Private Address, tap the toggle until it is off (gray)
- Note the "Wi-Fi Address"
- Click on the Start menu
- Search for "wifi"
- Click on Wi-Fi settings
- Confirm Use random hardware address is Off
- Click on Hardware properties
- Note the "Physical address (MAC)"
- At the top-left, go to the Apple (icon) >System Preferences
- Click Network > Wi-Fi (icon) > Advanced (button)
- Go down the Wi-Fi window and note the "Wi-Fi Address"
- Click the Chrome Launcher (start menu)
- In the search, type Network
- Click on the Network (icon)
- Click Wi-Fi
- Click on the connected Wi-Fi network
- Go down and click Network
- Look at the bottom of the Network section and note the MAC address
See the manufacturer's website for gaming devices, streaming media, smart home devices, and printers.
- Some devices may have a small sticker attached to the device with a printed MAC address
- Home smart devices and streaming media may require you to press a combination of buttons to get the MAC address
Match the MAC Address in Connect
In your Connect App, match the MAC to an Unknown Device:
- In Settings, tap Devices
- Under GUEST, tap a device
- Under UNKNOWN, tap Unknown Device
- Find the MAC address at the bottom
Change the Device Owner
Change the Device Owner to one of your Family members
For Shared Devices, select the youngest Family member likely to use the Device
Turn Off the MAC Privacy
If Unknown devices come up each time your Child's Windows, Android or iOS connects to the Box, turn off the network privacy
- Troubleshooting MAC Randomization on BYOD Devices
- Troubleshooting Box Blocks iOS Devices with Private Addresses
- Troubleshooting Box Blocks Android Devices with Random Addresses
Remove Duplicate Devices
Complete the steps above. On your Parent phone or tablet, use the Connect App to remove devices with MAC addresses you do not recognize
What if I removed an active device instead of a duplicate?
If you accidentally remove your Child's Device from the Family, check the Troubleshooting (above)
- On your Child's device, reconnect it to your Family WiFi
Connect Phones, Tablets, and Laptops to Your Box
- Open Safari, Chrome or a web browser
- Go to the http://www.home.tools diagnostic page
- Tap ASSIGN DEVICE
- Enter your Parent PIN
- Enter a
Select a device type
Select a user
- Tap ASSIGN
Allow up to 2 minutes for the device to sync with your Parent app and the Box.
My issue still isn’t resolved, what do I do next?
We are here to help. Sign in to your Connect App as a Parent. Go to Settings > Support center
If you don't have the Connect App
- Get into a live chat from our website www.familyzone.com
- Request a call back or send us a message
From Australia and New Zealand
From the United States
Have details available to help us troubleshoot your problem:
- Account email
- Child’s name
- Devices impacted
- Time of the issue
- Description of the issue