Applies to: Insights and Premium Members. Child's App on iPhones and iPads
How do I get the Location Settings to stay on?
On your Child's iPhone or iPad:
First, Turn On Location Tracking on iOS Devices
- Next, open the iOS Settings
Apple iOS Settings:
- iOS 15 (2021) - Tap Privacy > Location Services >Connect App
- iOS 14 (2020) - Tap Privacy > Location Settings >Connect App
- iOS 13 (2019) Tap Settings > Privacy > Location Services - beneath the settings, toggle on Connect App
- iOS 12 (2018) - Tap Privacy > Location > Location Services > Connect App
- Tap on Always
Ensure Precise Location is on (green)
- Tap Connect App in the upper-left
- Select the Home button/Touch ID at the bottom of the phone or tablet to return to the Home screen
If you are concerned about your child turning off Location Tracking, see Apple's instructions for restricting changes to the iOS Settings at https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201304.
Is there a way to lock access to the Location Settings?
Before you start, follow Apple's steps to set a Screen Time passcode on your Child's device. See https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT208982
On your Child's iPhone or iPad:
- Open iOS Settings (iOS 14 shown here)
- Tap Screen Time
- Move down and tap Content and Privacy Restrictions
- Tap the Content and Privacy Restrictions toggle until it is green (restrictions are on)
Enter a 4-digit Apple Screen Time Passcode
- Tap Location Services
- Tap Don't Allow Changes
- In the upper-left, tap < Back 3 times to exit Screen Time
We recommend you restart the device to clear out any open apps and have the restrictions load.
An advantage of the Connect App is being able to find the Location of your Child's Android or iOS devices without having to install and maintain different types of apps on different devices. You, as a Parent, can also use either Android or iOS to monitor mobile devices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why doesn’t my child’s device look like that?
Your Child's iPhone or iPad may be using a different version of the iOS. See more from Apple for how to set Location Services https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT207092
Will this impact my child’s ability to change the Location permissions for all apps?
Yes. Your Child may need you to turn on (or off) the settings for location-based games, like Pokemon.
Is this turned on by default?
No. By default the iPhone or iPad restrictions are off. A Parent needs the Child's iOS device to turn on restrictions.
Why can’t you change the Location Services from the app?
Apple's security requires a person to change the settings on an iPhone or iPad. Apple does not allow outside apps to remotely change the Location Services.
Why is there gaps in the Location history?
Premium Members may see gaps in the Location history for a few reasons. The most common reasons for gaps in Location history are:
Location history is only sent while your Child's personal phone or tablet is connected to the internet outside of School. And, Location data is not collected from laptops (Windows, Mac or Chromebook).
Schools do not share location information.
Device locations are not available for School owned Devices. Additionally, location information is not tracked during the time a personal phone or tablet is connected to a School's network.
My issue still isn’t resolved, what do I do next?
We are here to help. Sign in to your Connect App as a Parent. Go to Settings > Support center
If you don't have the Connect App
- Get into a live chat from our website www.familyzone.com
- Request a call back or send us a message
From Australia and New Zealand
From the United States
Have details available to help us troubleshoot your problem:
- Account email
- Child’s name
- Devices impacted
- Time of the issue
- Description of the issue