Parent app: Android or iOS
Article type: Fundamental steps
A Cyber Safe Home Network
Parents in Australia and New Zealand can set up the Family Zone Box to monitor internet content accessed through gaming consoles, personal assistants, computers, and visiting mobile devices. The Box is attached to your internet provider's modem-router to ensure that your Children are accessing age appropriate web content in your home.
Before you start, install and setup a Family Zone Parent account on your Android phone or tablet.
Next, from your iOS or Android phone or tablet:
- In the Connect App, go to Settings > Home network
- Tap Already have a Box?
- Follow the on-screen steps
Connect the Box to your modem-router using the the cables provided with the Family Zone Box
An existing Internet Service provided through a modem-router with ethernet ports is required.
- The Family Zone Box is added to filter content from your broadband, cable, or ADSL modem-router
- The Box and your modem-router must be connected by a cable between the ethernet ports
- The Box cannot replace your Internet Service Provider's modem-router
- The Box is not compatible with 4G and 5G mobile broadband modems that do not have ethernet ports
Tap NEXT when done
- Look at the inside edge of the Box for a code starting with FZ (near where you plugged in the cables)
Type the code into Box ID
In Name your Box, type a short name you will recognize
- Use a different name and password from your modem-router
- Use letters (case-sensitive) and numbers
- Do not use spaces or special characters (# ! $ & ...)
- Recommended, use 8-16 characters
On your Android, tap NEXT
- Go down to FAMILY NETWORK
Verify the toggle is blue (on)
This is the monitored network your Child will use
In Name (SSID), type a short name that your Family will recognize
In Password, type an easy to remember password to share with your Child
- Recommended, go down to GUEST NETWORK
Tap to turn the toggle blue (on)
This is a network with more web content filtering for Devices visiting your home
In Name (SSID), type a short name you will recognize as the Guest WiFi
In Password, type a password your Child can share with their visiting friends
- Recommended, go down to UNFILTERED NETWORK
Tap to turn the toggle blue (on)
This is a network with no content monitoring to be used by Parents, printers or network hard drives.
This is also the network for smart home devices like doorbells, vacuums or security cameras.
In Name (SSID), type a short name you will recognize as the Unfiltered WiFi
In Password, type a hard-to-guess password for only the Parents to use
- Go to the bottom of the screen, tap NEXT
- At the confirmation screen, tap CONNECT TO MY NETWORK
This will take you to the sign in details to connect your Child's devices to your cyber safe Family Network
Connect Your Child's Devices
Connect your Child's devices to the Filtered network using the password you set.
- Connect Phones, Tablets, and Laptops to Your Box
- Add a Gaming or Media Device to Your Box
- Add a Printer or Smart Home Device to Your Box
How do you use the three different networks?
The Family Zone Box has 3 types of networks for specific purposes:
- Family WiFi network - for a Child's computers, mobile devices, gaming consoles, smart TVs, and personal assistants
- Guest WiFi network - for unknown or temporary devices, such as your Child's classmates or friends visiting your home
- Unfiltered WiFi network - turns off content monitoring for Parents, printers, NAS (Network Attached Storage) hard drives , and smart home devices (like vacuums, doorbells, security systems, and appliances)
Find the name and password to your networks on your iOS or Android device. Sign into your Family Zone app as a Parent. Go to Settings > Home network > WiFi networks. Look for the Name (SSID) and show password access with the type of network you want to connect a Family Device to.
Parents can also update the Family Box networks from anywhere they have an internet connection and do not need to be home to update the Box settings.