Applies to: Free trial and Premium Members with a Child using a Windows device
Excludes: Windows devices owned by Schools
Article type: Fundamental steps
Download and Install
Your Parent's app will help you manage the online activity on your Child's Windows laptop or desktop. Premium Members can also schedule access to the internet based on daily Routine times for School day and Rest days (weekends and school breaks).
Before you start, install Family Zone Connect on to your phone or tablet:
On your Child's Windows laptop:
- In a web browser, go to https://www.familyzone.com/laptops
- Go to the bottom of the page
- Click DOWNLOAD FOR WINDOWS
- At the Downloads prompt, click to the right of Save as
- Click on the installer warning
- Select Keep
- At the second warning message, click Show more
- Click Keep anyway
Give the installer a few minutes to download.
Open the Installer
- After the download is complete, click Open file
- At the warning, click Yes
- At the Windows protected message, click More info
- Click Run anyway
The default, higher-level security settings are shown here. If the security settings have been changed on this computer, some of the warnings will not be displayed.
Run the Installer
- At Setup, click Next
- Click and read the End User License Agreement
- At Ready to Install, click Next
Allow the installer to run
- At Completing the Installer Wizard
Note the Family Zone icon in the tool tray
Click Finish and continue to the next steps
Assign the Windows Device to Your Child
Set your Child as the default user of this Windows device. Family Zone will apply age appropriate monitoring of the internet content they are accessing.
- Click the Family Zone icon in the Tool Tray (lower-right of the screen)
- Sign in with your email and password
- Type a name for the Windows device
- Select your Child's name as the Device Owner
- Click ASSIGN
Your Child's name and monitoring status will be displayed
Click on the Tool Tray icon again to hide the Family Zone window
- Restart the computer
Close all open tabs. Family Zone is now monitoring internet content on your Child's Windows device. Insights and Premium Members can access current activity, weekly reports, and snapshots from their phone or tablet. See the Related Articles below to install the Parent's app.
Premium Members can use filters & rules to ensure a child sees age-appropriate online content. Premium Members can also set up Device Borrowing, for devices more than one Child needs to use.