Please note: Does not apply to US Members
Article type: Optional steps
Link Your Child to a School
Family Zone works with Schools in Australia and New Zealand to share information about school days, school hours, and school vacations through the Community function. When you connect a child to the Community, the Calendars and Routines are automatically updated from the school's data. You can opt-out of the school setting up the default Calendar and daily Routine times.
To change your School opt-in from a computer:
- In a web browser, go to https://portal.familyzone.com/
- Sign in as a Parent
- In the left menu, click Settings
- Click on Family Zone
- Locate and toggle the Enable School Community switch
Blue is opt-in
Grey is opt-out
How long before the change takes effect?
Changes to the School Community open in status take around 30 seconds (but up to 2 minutes) to take effect.
If you are opting into School Community and any of your children are linked with a partner school they will have their school time and calendar set by the school. The school will be able to see their device details.
If you are opting out, then you will need to manage their school time and calendars. Their school will be unable to see their device details.
Family Zone and Schools
Schools choose from different services when offering to link a Child's Family Zone devices to the School.
- MDM (US and ANZ Mobile Device Management)
Parents can see web activity outside of school, but cannot change the School's filtering rules on the device.
- Available in the US and Australia and New Zealand
- Schools manage the Child's device at all times (may be referred to as "24x7")
- Parents can receive Family Zone alerts and reports for activity outside of School
- School Community (US)
Parents can review internet activity for time during School and outside of School.
- Available in the US
- The School gives Parents the Community link
- The School offers to share the web history from School
- The School manages filtering during School
- Parents can manage the monitoring for the web activity outside of School
- School Community (Australia and New Zealand)
Parents can only see online activity outside of School and get the School's cyber safety advice.
- Available in Australia and New Zealand
- The School hosts its own online cyber safety hub
- Some Schools also share the school calendar and host special cyber safety events
- Family Zone automatically switches on monitoring when the Child is outside of School
- School Safe Network (Australia and New Zealand)
Parents allow the School's network to manage filtering so the Child can use the device at School.
- Available for many schools in Australia and New Zealand
- Parents search for the School's Safe Network by name
- Family Zone automatically transfers filtering to the School when the Child connects to the School's network