Applies to: Insights and Premium Members
Devices: Android phones and tablets
How to Install Family Zone for Parents
Parents use Family Zone to monitor online activity on their Child's many different devices.
The first time a Parent signs up for a new Family Zone account, there are two steps. A Parent starts by setting up Family Zone on their phone or tablet. Next, the Parent installs Family Zone on their Child's devices.
On a Parent's Android phone or tablet:
- In Google Play, find the Family Zone Connect app
Open Family Zone after it downloads
- If you are new to Family Zone, tap Create an account
If you already have a Family Zone account, tap I already have an account and skip to Returning Members, below
- Read the legal information
- Enter your contact details
Tap Create my account
Verify Your Email
- From your home screen, open your email app
Open the email from the Family Zone Team
Look in the Updates, Other or Spam folder if the email is not in your inbox
- Copy the 6-digit code
- Go back to the Connect app
Paste the verification code
Tap Verify my account
Select a Parent PIN and Plan
- After verifying your account, tap Continue to setup
- Type in 4 numbers for your Parent's PIN
- Review the Family Zone Premium Plan filtering features
Review the billing and the free trial options
- Tap Family Zone Insights
Review the reporting features
Select Family Zone Premium or Family Zone Insights
Tap the Continue ... button
If you are already using fingerprint or face ID "biometrics" on your Android phone or tablet, you can use it to lock your Family Zone settings. You can change the biometric sign-in at any time.
What is the difference between a password and a PIN?
Parents use a password to add, edit or remove details about the Family members. The password are needed to make changes to billing and subscriptions. Passwords are used to turn off tracking, remove devices from the Family, and uninstall Family Zone from a Child's device.
PIN (Personal Identification Number)
A Parent uses their PIN to authorize changes such as changing Sleep time to Play or Study time. Parents have the option to also set a PIN for a Child. The PIN is used to borrow a phone, tablet or computer with the access level set by the Parent.
Fingerprint ID and Face ID (biometric) Logins
The "biometric login" is used by a Parent to prevent a Child from opening the Connect app on a Parent's phone. Biometric data is stored on a phone or tablet and cannot be accessed by Family Zone.
Add your Child's Details
- Enter your Child's details
* Selected US schools share the online history with Parents.
If you see your Child's name with a checkbox, see Connect a Child to a US School in the Android App
- After you tap in Date of birth, a calendar pops up
Tap the pencil icon
- Erase the example date
Type your Child's birthday
Use the month-day (or day-month) format listed on your phone
- Tap Save and continue if you are done
Or, tap Save and add another Child and repeat steps 1-3
- At the Family screen, your next step is to install Family Zone on your Child's devices
See the steps for your Child's phone, tablet, laptop or computer in Getting Started
Use your Connect app to access summaries and alerts about your Child's internet activity. Family Zone will send helpful explanations of the age-appropriate safety or risks of the web content that your Child is accessing. If desired, a Parent can add filtering and blocking to help protect your Child.
Already have a Family Zone Insights or Premium subscription? Sign in and access your saved settings.
- Download Family Zone Connect from Google Play
- Enter your email and password
Tap I already have an account
- Read and accept the legal agreements
- At Who will be using this device, tap Parent
Turn On Auto-Update
Both new and existing members should turn on Android auto-update to ensure you have the most recent security updates for all apps.
- In the Google Play Store, tap your name > Settings > General > Network preferences > Auto-update apps > Over Wi-Fi only
More information on auto-update is available from Google at https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/113412