Applies to: Insights and Premium Members
Child's device: Android 10 or Android 11 tablet or phone
Article type: Fundamental steps
Troubleshooting a Missing CA Certificate
Phones and tablets running Android 10 (2019) and Android 11 (2020) use a security feature to ensure you trust the Certificate Authorities (CA) being installed. The steps below are not required for supported Android version 9 (2018) or earlier.
A Parent needs to add the CA certificate to Android devices to ensure the internet activity Family Zone is monitoring is verified and encrypted.
On the Child's Android phone or tablet:
- Open the Connect App
If you were installing and see a Cannot install CA Certificates message, tap OK
- Tap the home screen button
- Open Chrome or a web browser
Go to the http://home.tools diagnostic page
- At the Browser certificate message, tap INSTALL
- Go to the Android Settings > Connections (or Network)
- Tap in the Search
Type CA certificate (not case-sensitive)
- Move down and tap on CA certificate
Tap again on CA certificate
- At the privacy warning, tap Install anyway
The Connect App uses the certificate to encrypt and verify the data from your Child's device
- In Select item, tap Downloads > ca_cert.crt
- Close the Android settings
Tap the home screen button
- Open the Connect App and tap DONE
- Recommended, restart your Child's Android device to clear out any open settings
The Connect App will monitor your Child's online activity. Insights and Premium Members will see Usage, Apps, and reports.
Premium Members can use default filtering or customize the filtering rules. Premium Members can also set up Device sharing between Family members. When a Family member uses their PIN to sign in to a Device, the Connect App will use this Family member's monitoring settings.