Applies to: Insights and Premium Members
Child's device: Android 10, 11 or 12 tablet or phone
Article type: Fundamental steps
Troubleshooting a Missing CA Certificate
Phones and tablets running Android 10 - 12 (2019 - 2021) use a security feature to ensure you trust the Certificate Authorities (CA) being installed. The steps below are not required for supported Android version 9 (2018) or earlier.
A Parent needs to add the CA certificate to Android devices to ensure the internet activity Family Zone is monitoring is verified and encrypted.
On the Child's Android phone or tablet:
- Open the Connect App
If you see a Certificate authority Permission not granted, tap Allow
- If you were installing and see an Install CA certificates in Settings, tap Close
- Open a web browser, go to our http://home.tools diagnostic page
At the Browser certificate message, tap INSTALL
- Go to the Android Settings
Tap the Search settings
- Type "CA certificate" (not case-sensitive)
- Move down and tap on "CA certificate"
Tap again on CA certificate
- At the privacy warning, tap Install anyway
The Connect App uses the certificate to encrypt and verify the data from your Child's device
- In Recent files, tap ca_cert.crt
Close the Android settings
- Open the Connect App and ensure no Recommended Permissions show
- Recommended, restart your Child's Android device to clear out any open settings
The Connect App will monitor your Child's online activity. Insights and Premium Members will see Usage, Apps, and reports.
Premium Members can use default filtering or customize the filtering rules. Premium Members can also set up Device sharing between Family members. When a Family member uses their PIN to sign in to a Device, the Connect App will use this Family member's monitoring settings.
My issue still isn’t resolved, what do I do next?
We are here to help. Sign in to your Connect App as a Parent. Go to Settings > Support center
If you don't have the Connect App
- Get into a live chat from our website www.familyzone.com
- Request a call back or send us a message
From Australia and New Zealand
From the United States
Have details available to help us troubleshoot your problem:
- Account email
- Child’s name
- Devices impacted
- Time of the issue
- Description of the issue