Article type: Fundamental steps
The Family Zone Box provides a safe network for family and guests to connect to. Online content is monitored by the Family Zone products. Parents what their children are doing online. Premium Members can add filtering to ensure users are accessing age-appropriate content.
Parents have the option of adding a family member's device by connecting the device to the network provided by the Family Zone Box or by installing the Family Zone App.
How do you use the three different networks?
The Family Zone Box has 3 types of networks for specific purposes:
- Family WiFi network - for a Child's computers, mobile devices, gaming consoles, smart TVs, and personal assistants
- Guest WiFi network - for unknown or temporary devices, such as your Child's classmates or friends visiting your home
- Unfiltered WiFi network - turns off content monitoring for Parents, printers, NAS (Network Attached Storage) hard drives , and smart home devices (like vacuums, doorbells, security systems, and appliances)
Find the name and password to your networks on your iOS or Android device. Sign into your Family Zone app as a Parent. Go to Settings > Home network > WiFi networks. Look for the Name (SSID) and show password access with the type of network you want to connect a Family Device to.
Parents can also update the Family Box networks from anywhere they have an internet connection and do not need to be home to update the Box settings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I need to register devices?
Registering devices to Family Zone applies the User's age-appropriate monitoring and reporting. Premium Members get additional settings to filter and block inappropriate online content.
Family Zone uses age groups created by our Cyber Experts:
- Kids (0-8 years old)
- Children (9-12 years old)
- Juniors (Junior High & Middle School, 13-15 years old)
- Seniors (Senior High School, 16-17 years old)
- Young Adults (18-21 years old)
- Adults (21+ years old)
By default the age is determined by the birthdate. Parents can use the advanced settings to set the age profile manually or by the school year.
Family Zone Box Profiles
In Australia and New Zealand, unknown devices are added to one of the following safe profiles when connecting to a home network hosted by a Family Zone Box.
- Guest (applied to unknown devices logging onto your Family Zone Box with a password)
- Safety Net (compares and applies the most cautious rules to a visiting device running Family Zone from a different Family)
What happens when an unregistered Device connects to your Family Zone Box?
Upon connecting the device for the first time, the Parents receive an email alerting them to a Guest Device. See Adding Guests to Your Family Zone Box Home Network (Australia and New Zealand)
Do I need to install Family Zone on the computers and mobile devices?
No, you do not need to install Family Zone unless the computer or device needs to be monitored when it's connected to networks outside of the home.
Why am I being asked to install a certificate?
The certificate ensures Family Zone can identify secure websites. Often sites containing risky content, malicious downloads, and online stores hide their activity with the same security tools used by legitimate websites.