Using the Family WiFi
The first time a device connects to the Family Zone Box in your home, you will need to identify who is using the device. This will set the default age group for monitoring.
Devices shared by both Parents and Children should be connected to the Filtered WiFi and set up with the Child as a Device Owner. This ensures filtering is on by default. If the device owner is a Parent or adult, the device is not monitored by default. Parents can turn off filtering on a shared Device with their PIN.
Connect the Device
On your iOS or Android phone or tablet:
- Sign in to Family Zone as a Parent
- In Settings, tap Home network
- In WiFi networks, go to your Family WiFi Network
- Beside the Password, tap Show
Ask your Family or Guest to connect their Windows, MacOS, iOS, ChromeOS or Android Device to your Family WiFi with the password
To connect iOS 14 and newer iPads and iPhones
- Tap on the i (for information)
- Turn off Private Address (toggle to gray)
To connect Android 11 and newer tablets and phones
- Tap on the small gear icon
- Advanced > MAC address type > choose Phone MAC or Tablet MAC
Other devices can connect without editing the network settings.
Assign the Device
After the new device has connected to the Family WiFi Network, go back to your phone or tablet:
- In To do, tap OPTIONS
- Tap ASSIGN DEVICE
- In Family Member, tap in Device name
Type a short name you will recognize
- Tap in Assign to
Tap on a Family Member's name
- Tap Device type
Tap on the
- In the upper-right, tap Done
Don't worry if you see a Device not monitored message
Verify the Filtering
On your Child's phone, tablet, laptop or computer:
- Open a web browser (Safari or Chrome, recommended)
- Go to the diagnostic page at http://home.tools
(an iPhone is displayed in the example above)
- The blocked.familyzone.com page will display
A "Device is filtered" message appears for Devices owned by a Child
- If the Install certificate message appears, tap Remind me later
The block page for adults will display a "Device not filtered" message
How do you use the three different networks?
The Family Zone Box has 3 types of networks for specific purposes:
- Family WiFi network - for a Child's computers, mobile devices, gaming consoles, smart TVs, and personal assistants
- Guest WiFi network - for unknown or temporary devices, such as your Child's classmates or friends visiting your home
- Unfiltered WiFi network - turns off content monitoring for Parents, printers, NAS (Network Attached Storage) hard drives , and smart home devices (like vacuums, doorbells, security systems, and appliances)
Find the name and password to your networks on your iOS or Android device. Sign into your Family Zone app as a Parent. Go to Settings > Home network > WiFi networks. Look for the Name (SSID) and show password access with the type of network you want to connect a Family Device to.
Parents can also update the Family Box networks from anywhere they have an internet connection and do not need to be home to update the Box settings.
Devices used exclusively by Parents, printers or smart home devices (like vacuums or security cameras) should connect to the Unfiltered WiFi. Do not share the Unfiltered WiFi connection with your Child!
You do not need to install Family Zone on devices connected to the Box, unless your Child takes these devices outside the home. When Family Zone is installed on computers and mobile devices, it will automatically turn on when your Child's devices disconnect from the Family WiFi Network.