Please note: Not applicable to US customers
Parent app: Android
Article type: Advanced options
Safe Networks are used in Australia and New Zealand to automatically turn off the Connect App when a Child's device connects to cyber safe WiFi.
Safe Networks are also used when the School network is not on our list. School IT or Parents can manually add the School's network. Check to see if your School's network is on our list, first. See Add or Remove a School in the Android App (Australia and New Zealand).
From a Parent's Android phone or tablet:
- Get a device close enough to connect to the network
Find the name of the cyber safe network
Carefully note spaces, symbols, numbers, capital and lower case letters
- Open Chrome or a web browser
- Go to https://portal.familyzone.com
Sign in with your email and password
- Select the menu > Settings > Family settings
- Move down to SAFE NETWORKS
- Recommended, if this is a School network, search for the School first
If the School is found, select it and you are done
If you cannot find the School, continue to the next step
- Tap Add Manually
Type the network name including spaces, capital letters, numbers, and symbols
In Network Description, type a name you will recognize
- Tap ADD SAFE NETWORK
- Under Safe Networks, tap Other Safe Networks
Verify the network you added is listed
The Safe Network is available to your whole Family. All Family members devices will recognize the Safe Network when their devices connect to the network.
The Connect App will stop monitoring your Child's devices after connecting to a Safe Network. When their devices disconnect from the Safe Network, Connect monitoring will turn back on.
Family Zone and Schools
Schools choose from different services when offering to link a Child's Family Zone devices to the School.
- MDM (US and ANZ Mobile Device Management)
Parents can see web activity outside of school, but cannot change the School's filtering rules on the device.
- Available in the US and Australia and New Zealand
- Schools manage the Child's device at all times (may be referred to as "24x7")
- Parents can receive Family Zone alerts and reports for activity outside of School
- School Community (US)
Parents can review internet activity for time during School and outside of School.
- Available in the US
- The School gives Parents the Community link
- The School offers to share the web history from School
- The School manages filtering during School
- Parents can manage the monitoring for the web activity outside of School
- School Community (Australia and New Zealand)
Parents can only see online activity outside of School and get the School's cyber safety advice.
- Available in Australia and New Zealand
- The School hosts its own online cyber safety hub
- Some Schools also share the school calendar and host special cyber safety events
- Family Zone automatically switches on monitoring when the Child is outside of School
- School Safe Network (Australia and New Zealand)
Parents allow the School's network to manage filtering so the Child can use the device at School.
- Available for many schools in Australia and New Zealand
- Parents search for the School's Safe Network by name
- Family Zone automatically transfers filtering to the School when the Child connects to the School's network
Safe Network Options
Parents can use the Web portal to add the names of networks with content filtering. Here are the types of Safe Network options.
Your Child's School
In Australia or New Zealand, add your Child's School. Family Zone will automatically switch to the school's cyber safety rules after connecting to the School network.
Add any other Safe Networks to your Child's account, such as filtered internet access provided by a Child's after-school care.
For the Family
Add the network names for filtered networks all of the Children in your Family, such as the library's filtered network.