Applies to: Premium Members with the Family Zone Box
Parent App: iOS or Android
Printers and Smart Home Devices
We recommend that Parents connect printers, NAS (Network Attached Storage), and smart home devices (like vacuums, doorbells, security systems, and appliances) to the Unfiltered WiFi network or directly your internet provider's router-modem.
Connect to WiFi
Before you start:
Read your printer or device manufacturer's instructions.
Many manufacturers will require you to look on the device for a label with a password or hold a button to connect their device to a network. Some manufacturers will require you to use a cable to temporarily connect your device to a computer. Others may instruct you to use their app or web page.
After you get the device ready, sign in to Family Zone Connect as a Parent:
- In Settings, tap Home network
- Tap WiFi networks
- Move down to Unfiltered WiFi network
Turn it ON if it is OFF
If you are turning ON the network, tap EDIT and set a Password
- At Password, tap Show
- Follow the instructions provided by your printer or Smart Home device manufacturer
Be ready to wait between steps on your device. Printers and Smart Home devices have less computing power than your phone or tablet. These home devices will take longer to process each step connecting to the network.
Don't connect devices your Child can use to access web content to the Unfiltered WiFi on the Box.
Smart TVs, Smart Speakers, and personal assistants like Amazon Alexa, Google Nest or Apple HomePod should be connected to your Family WiFi to ensure the content is filtered and you can manage access times.
Connect by Ethernet
Alternatively, you can plug up to 4 devices directly into the Ethernet ports on the back of the Family Zone Box.
By default, "wired" Devices will connect to the GUEST network. We recommend changing the Device Owner to a Parent Family member for wired printers, network drives, and Smart Home gadgets (like vacuums, doorbells, and security cameras).
Before you start, plug your printer, Network Access Storage (NAS) or another wired device into power and turn it on. Follow the manufacturer's instructions to plug the ethernet cable into the device.
Plug the ethernet cable from the printer or device into any yellow ports on the Family Zone Box.
Sign into Family Zone Connect as a Parent:
- In Settings, tap Home network
- Under GUEST, tap device
- Tap Unknown device
- In the upper-right, tap Edit
- In Device name, enter a short name you will recognize
- Tap on Owned by, select a Parent or adult
- Tap on Device type, select Other
In the upper-right, tap DONE
- The printer or Smart Home Device will be displayed in the Devices list
How to use the three different networks?
The Family Zone Box has three types of networks for specific purposes:
- Family WiFi network - for a child's computers, mobile devices, gaming consoles, smart TVs, and personal assistants
- Guest WiFi network - for unknown or temporary devices, such as your child's classmates or guests visiting your home
- Unfiltered WiFi network - turns off content monitoring for parents, printers, NAS (Network Attached Storage) hard drives , and smart home devices (like vacuums, doorbells, security systems, and appliances)